In order to settle a claim the company wants my Social Security number. Is this the norm and true?

I slipped and fell on some liquid in a grocery store. I wrote a demand letter to the company handling the claim. I received a phone call from the company and the person handling the claim stated they are looking into settling but want my social security number to see if Medicare paid for any of my hospital bills. Yet, I have not received anything in writing from them.

Michael’s answer

Yes. You must provide a tax identification number (generally your SS#) to receive payment.

Slipped and fell at Dollar Tree 7/29 & got hurt on right hand. Made a doc.appt. today just wondering what’s next thing to do?

I was w/ my daughter & walking in front of their register & slipped and fell and landed on my right hand. The liquid was like coffee and like size of a baseball ball everywhere. Called team member & she wiped it right away instead of asking me if I’m ok.I asked for corp.# & mgr. came & I filed an incident report.I also asked for ice pack bec. my hand start brushing. Next day their corp.called me and him if I need to see a doc. I need to go to my insurance and compensate me later. Is that right? I just don’t want to spend my money which I know it’s their fault. I’m in pain so I made an appt. today and I hope I’m fine.

Michael’s answer

Here is how it works:

1. Get appropriate treatment on your own before even considering settling your claim. You do not know how serious an injury you may have until you see how well you recover, and whether you will have any residual issues with your hand or wrist. Don’t ask for money until you know how much is appropriate to compensate for your harm.

2. Consult with an experienced injury attorney. Slip and fall cases are not easy to win. You will have to show that the condition that made you fall was either caused by a store employee, or existed long enough to put the store on notice that it existed. You will need to secure sweep logs, video surveillance footage, and witness information. You may have to file a lawsuit to get this information, and to force the store to pay on your claim.

3. At the end of the case, your medical costs will be accounted for, but not until then.

Don’t be in a rush to take a small settlement. Best of luck!

I was seriously injured by a reckless driver. He was not charged and should be. Who do i see for justice?

Driver was previously charged/convicted of reckless driving. On probation. No lic. reg. ins. Alcohol present in system.,admission of guilt. Injuries severe and permanent. Lost test. Lost evidence. No investigation or interviews of witnesses. How can I press my right for redress if the local DA is unwilling. Driver has social/ family/ relationship ties w/ law enforcement/ probation.

Michael’s answer

You have two issues:

1. Getting compensation for your injuries.
2. Trying to get justice from a criminal prosecution.

On the first issue – getting compensation – contact a personal injury attorney to review the evidence and explain your options. If the driver has assets, you can sue him despite his lack of insurance. You can also make a claim to your own insurance company for Uninsured Motorist benefits.

On the second issue – getting the DA to prosecute – you only have political pressure as a tool. Talk to the DA’s office and make clear you will continue to press this. Use the media if you can (The Press Democrat, etc.)

Good luck to you.

Contact us Today for a FREE, No Obligation, Consultation

Call our Santa Rosa Law Office: (707) 843-3743
You Pay No Legal Fees Until We Win Your Case!