What do you do if you or a family member have been in an accident?
If you or a family member have recently been hurt in an accident:
- Seek appropriate medical attention right away. Do not refuse treatment from first responders. You often will not realize the nature or extent of your injuries, so let the professionals assess your condition. Follow up with your own doctor if you are experiencing any pain, numbness, weakness or other symptoms after an accident.
- Notify your insurance provider that you have been in an accident, but never talk to anyone who contacts you who is from an insurance company for the other side (other driver, business, property owner, etc.)
- If you are able, gather important evidence from the scene of the accident. Take pictures with your smartphone (you can take pictures of the scene, the vehicles involved, and even documents such as Incident Reports, Driver’s License, Registration, and Insurance).
- Get the names and phone numbers of any witnesses. Do this even if the Police have been called. Some witnesses may not wait around for the Officer to arrive.
- Keep a log or journal of your injury symptoms. This will help you remember over time how your injuries have manifested. You will need this to effectively communicate your symptoms to your doctor and your attorney.
- Report your accident to the DMV if any of the following is true:
- There was property damage of more than $750.
- Anyone was injured (no matter how minor).
- Anyone was killed.
- Here is a link to the form you will need: https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv104.pdf
- Hire a skilled, experienced personal injury attorney to represent you and your family. See When You Need to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer.
Contact us Today for a FREE, No Obligation, Consultation
Call our Santa Rosa Law Office: (707) 843-3743
You Pay No Legal Fees Until We Win Your Case!